Monday, January 14, 2013

Memories of Jesse

This is a place where I encourage all who knew Jesse to write about him and what they remember about him. Funny stories, crazy moments, wild adventures, or touching moments. Please no holding back. We all know he was crazy. His love for life is what we love whether or not he was wrong or right he always made us laugh.
       My story is about how he tricked my dad into stealing the church piano.  Now before everyone gets all mad about this, please try to find the humor in it too. My Dad is a super religious man and Jesse was just Jesse. He got an idea in his head and just went with it. That was one of the things I loved most about him. He was unpredictable. If my Dad knew he did this he would be shocked and feel really bad. Jesse was so good at tricking you into doing things you would never do on a normal basis. He just had a charm about him that is so hard to resist.

Jesse's friend mike told me this story and now I am telling you so I hope I get everything right....
One summer night Jesse's best friend mike got a phone call from Jesse. "hello?" mike said. Jesse sounded eagar on the phone, "Hey mike, I need your help." there was a slight pause. "Ok" said mike, "What do you need?". Jesse's answer sounded a little rushed, "I just got this really nice piano and I need help moving it." Mike thought for a minute and said, "Do I hear foot steps? Are you running???" Jesse replied, "Yes. That is why I need your help. I need help lifting the piano up into my truck." Mike was so confused. "Why are you running with a piano, in the middle of the night, in the middle of the street?" Jesse was reluctant to answer but figured Mike wouldn't care about the answer and said, "I stole my Dad's church keys and got this awesome piano." this time there was a very long pause. "whoaaa! Dude. I'll do a lot of things but if there's one thing I won't do, its mess with `God. No. You're on your own on this one man, sorry." Jesse was shocked. "What? seriously?" but no matter what Jesse said Mike wouldn't budge.
         Jesse was living in my Dad's basement apartment then and so when he got the piano to the truck Dad just happened to be outside locking things up. Dad was impressed with Jesse's purchase and offered to help him load it into the truck. Jesse smiled and said, "Sure Dad. Thanks".
         And that is how dad helped steal the church piano. Of course he had no idea, but it's a great story. I laugh every time I see a piano. He loved to play. He was so good at playing the piano.
           I smile at the memories we have of him and hate that they seem a lifetime ago. Make great memories with those you have around you. Enjoy life. Jesse lived life to its fullest and so should we. It is never moving on because those memories move with you. It is simply moving forward not backward. They are with us always, we carry them in our hearts. All the love I have I'm sending to you little brother.

4 comments:

  1. I just remember Jesse being the life of the party. He was wild and always had a wonderful mischievous look in his eye like he was about to do something crazy and reckless and he would probably have us laughing our guts out or shaking our heads in disbelief...or both...probably both. ;) ...and Grandma would scold him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when jesse would stay over at our house We would always laugh at how long he would spend time in the bathroom. (we were KIDS!!) Everya time he would dissappear, we would know just where to look. So he started saying "if anyone needs me I'll be in my office" as he closed the bathroom door. Haha. I don't know why that memory had stuck in my brain all these years. He was so funny. But that one was so random I had to share. I will never forget the memory at bear lake when we shot that rock at some guy with the balloon sling shot! Best memory ever! Oh and one time me and jenna hour into a fight and jesse was telling me what to say to her when we were fighting to make things better. He told me to tell jenna that she pierced my heart forever when she told me she hated me (or something like that) and it broke jenna's heart. She felt awful that it "pierced" my heart. (but i was just saying what jesse wanted me to say) But he knew just what to tell jenna to cause more drama while he sath back and watched it all. Haha. And once jenna found out it was all jesse's doing we just laughed it off. I have a bunch more memories of him butt those were right off the top of my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most memories that I have of Jesse are from when we were little, we were “best cousins” and everyone would call us “twins,” we would even call each other “my twin.” Most of these memories are pretty random and fairly amusing.... Here goes....
    I remember once sleeping over at Jesse's house; we were up all night long watching movie after movie, I believe Carly was there with us, but she fell asleep after maybe 2 movies. We watched so many movies that night that we had memorized the words on the black screen that comes up before any movie starts, “This film has been modified from its original version, it has been formatted to fit this screen.” We would have a race who could say those words when they popped up the fastest, and then laugh when we would get tongue tied. Now, every time I watch a movie (which is almost daily!) I think of Jesse when I see that black screen pop up and I still try and say those words as fast as I can.
    One night at Bear lake Grandpa Ogden, Adam, Jesse and I slept of the beach under the stars . We started telling jokes. One joke Jesse told got Grandpa and all of us rolling with laughter. I don't remember all of the joke but I do remember it was about a talking parrot who's owner got really annoyed with it and put it in the bathroom when guests came over. One guy went to the bathroom and the Parrot was in the toilet and he said, “I see your hiney, its big fat and shiney, you better hide it before I bite it.” Then he flushed the toilet and the parrot said “rolling down the river on a big round log.” I am sure I butchered that, but it was so funny, I remember how hard that joke made Grandpa laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my fondest memories of Jesse was when we were again camping at Bear Lake when we were little, I actually think of this all the time. We would sit on the beach and collect seashells and cover our legs in the warm sand and just sit and talk. One of those times he asked me if I was granted 3 wishes right now, what would I wish for. I am pretty sure that I said 3 random things like toys I wanted and such, I honestly don't remember what I said. Jesse’s answer was something like this... his first wish was something random and temporal, the 2nd one was something about his family and the 3rd one was the one that I will never forget, he said, that he wished that he would be worthy to go to the Celestial Kingdom, and that that was his biggest wish. We were not very old, maybe 7 or 8 but I still remember how impressed I was that he would say that. Ever since I made that part of my wish list, just like Jesse did when he was little. This memory of Jesse has forever effected my life for good. I know that he was wild and crazy and hilarious for most of the time but he also had moments where is was still and really thought about life.
    In 6th or 7th grade we planned on opening our own sports store together when we grew up. We both loved to play soccer. This is what we would say if someone asked us what we were going to be when we grow up.
    There was one night in High school that Jesse, Carly and I went camping somewhere along the railroad in Provo Canyon, we walked there in at night and made a fire, we all talked a lot that night and slept under the stars. In the morning we woke up and Carly and I had no idea that we were camped close to a beautiful little pond right by the mountains, it was really beautiful. Jesse sure knew how to pick a great camping spot and I could tell that he felt most free in the mountains.
    As the years rolled on we still considered each other “Best Cousins” but we slowly drifted apart and life took over, we stopped coming to each others houses as often and we both got caught up in our own lives. I know that this is a normal part of life, but I have often thought that I should have stayed in touch with him and made time to call him and come over more often.
    One of my last memories of Jesse was at my wedding. The night before we had a dinner and my Mike and I drove Adam and Jesse back to the church when the dinner was over. We chatted a little on the way there, but what I remember was simply the look on his face, it seemed like he was remembering all the fun things we did together when we were younger. It felt like we were growing up and that things would never be the same between us. I have a few pictures of him at the wedding with him and that face. My photographer captured a picture of one of the last times that we hugged... ever, and that picture means a lot to me. (I am including a copy of this picture, if I can figure out how to).

    I love you Jesse and I know that one day I will see you again, when we can reminisce together again. Until then I guess it's a, “I miss you a lot but, I'll see you later my twin!”

    ReplyDelete

This blog is mainly written by Niki Michaelis. There have been two other co-writers so far: Jenna Pinegar and Sarah Cook. If you need help finding a loved one please contact me. I would be more than willing to put your loved ones picture up and story to get more people looking for your loved one. Email me at themissingpiece777@gmail.com. Will contact you as soon as possible.