Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Compliment

I have been having mixed emotions about this blog this past week. I have felt so vulnerable by sharing all my crazy stories about post pardum depression, anxiety, and just challenges in general.

I was about to give into my fears and just take the entire blog down until I recieved a tiny comment from my cousin that meant the world to me. She basically gave me a compliment telling me she liked what I was doing and that it was helping her. I was floored. I couldn't believe the timing of her comment, let alone what it was about. It said everything I was feeling insecure about. It gave me hope and a reason to keep the blog up. Not long after that I got a call from my mother. She told me the lady we had been trying to get in contact with about her missing son finally responded. She told me the lady was so excited about what we were doing and was ready to write her story. She will have the story of her missing son posted on the blog later this week. She is still looking for him and will use any way to get the word out on his disappearance. I am so excited to be able to help in any way I can.

This is what this post is about......a little compliment can go a long way. Quite often, we as women don't give ourselves enough credit for the amazing things we do. More importantly, we need to let each other know how great we think we are. Had my cousin not complimented me today I probably would have taken my blog down and missed out on the chance to help out on another missing persons' case. I would've regretted taking down this blog and luckily because someone took the time to say a little sentence to me it made a HUGE difference.

I have realized in my life that you never know what goes on behind closed doors. A person may look and act like they have it all together on the outside but on the inside they could be a complete mess. Don't ever compare yourself to others. You never know when that certain someone needs a friendly smile or a phone call just to say "hi". If you find yourself thinking of someone else and the thought crosses your mind to call them......call them. If you see some one and think, "Wow. She looks really pretty today." Tell her. If you see someone looking sad, ask them if you can do anything for them.

I have found all these thoughts have crossed my mind before but how often do I actually act on them??? We as women need to support each other. I am making it my goal this week to act upon the thoughts that cross my mind. If I think someone looks cute, I'm going to tell them. If someone looks sad, I'm going to see what I can do to help, If I find I keep thinking of someone, I'm going to call and check on them. I encourage all of you to do the same.

I am so grateful my cousin acted on her feelings and gave me, what may have seemed like a tiny compliment to her, but, it was GIGANTIC to me!!!  You never know how much a tiny compliment can mean to someone. Share what you think.

7 comments:

  1. I am glad you are still writing this blog. I have read everything you have written and it is beautiful. It helps me understand more of what your family has been through. It was easier for me to think he would come home one day. This has helped me deal with the fact that he might not. Jessie was a great guy. We all miss him. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings, I know it hasn't been easy. I love you and all your family so much.

    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sabrina!!
      I Have to be honest with you....My eyes have been opened after I started writing this blog. I don't know if you felt this way, but I felt like after jesse went missing our 2 families seemed to grow a little apart for some reason and I couldn't understand why. I think since you were so so so close to jesse, and that he was like a brother to you guys, you were hurting so much more than I realized. This situation has been so hard that we didn't even know what to say to one another. I wish we would have just talked about it. I had no idea it was easier for you to just believe he was still alive. In truth, some days I pretend he is too so the pain just doesn't sting as bad that day.
      I think us not talking was taken the wrong way. I was a little hurt by it. I shouldn't have been. but I was. I was hurt by not talking to stacy as much either. I guess I felt like you guys didn't care. When in fact I am learning you cared very much. I am so sorry I did not take your feelings into account. You guys were just as confused and hurt as we were. The one thing people do wrong I have found is we don't know what to say so we say nothing, we don't know what to do so we do nothing, we don't know how to feel so we pretend nothing has happened. I did the same thing. I am so glad you said something sabrina. I love you so much. You are amazing. I don't blame you for how you felt. I still pretend he is alive. There is a book I bought that is helping me and I will be writing about it but it is called Ambiguous loss: Learning to live with unresolved grief by Dr. pauline ross. I am liking it so far. Thank you for sharing yyour feelings. I know it is not easy. I love you!!! love niki

      Delete
    2. Aww you are making me tear up. I also felt like we were growing apart, but I blamed it on all of us starting our own families and getting busy with life. I think that was just an excuse. I am so sorry we hurt you. We never meant to hurt your family. Yes we should have talked about it more, I think we are all ready to talk about it now. Thank you for encouraging us to open up. You are truly the amazing one. Love you!
      Sabrina

      Delete
  2. I was honestly nervous coming around. I remember at Adam's wedding your dad sent various people and relatives to come look at me because I look like Jesse. I felt like I might be a sad /hard reminder of him or something.... that's probably stupid to think huh? jeseppi looks a lot like me and therefore jesse too! we just all look like grandma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corie!! Holy Crap! I never thought about it that way! And I never knew my dad sent people to go look at you because you looked like Jesse. What a Weirdo. I never thought of you as looking like jesse, but now that you mention it.....you kind of do. I love you even more now. What a beautiful person to look like. For me, thinking of you looking like him would only be a comfort. Sometimes I feel like he only existed in my dreams. I miss him so much. It has been so long that I feel like it all could just be a dream at times.
      Seeing you and seeing Beckham, (my son, who I feel resembles Jesse so much.)would be and is such a comfort. It is a beautiful reminder to me and my entire family that he did exist. Seeing glimpses of Jesse in others is truly amazing. I don't know why I feel I need to tell you this but, Jesse loved you very much. His eyes were one of my favorite features on him. Your eyes remind me of him. You are truly beautiful.
      I think Jesse lives on in all of us. In some more than others. Now that you know it doesn't hurt to see you, you Don't have to hide my brothers best feature:) I love you Corie!! Thank you for being my brothers twin. I look forward to when I get to see you again. I miss seeing those beautiful eyes. Never hide them. He loved you. Thank you for sharing. Love you cuz! NIKI

      Delete
  3. so.. I am late at reading this post, but I have to comment as well. I honestly had no idea how to react when I heard the news. I felt I had grown apart with most of you long before Jesse went missing. So when I found out he was gone, I felt extreme sadness and guilt. Guilt because I hadn't been in touch for so long, and then to come around after hearing he was missing made me feel like I was a hypocrite to be there only when times are bad. I should ALWAYS stay in touch! So I just always called my mom and asked for updates. I am so sorry you all felt like we didn't care. I know every single one of us worried about him and your family, prayed for you all, and tried to give you space... when we really should have said something. In the past, I have just been an awkward person when someone is hurting because all I can think to say probably sounds like the same thing everyone says, which to me, would sound like a broken record. I didn't think anything I said would mean anything because I just wasn't a close cousin to you all anymore. When we saw you all, we just wanted to be there for you by talking about other things to help you "forget" about the bad. I realize now, that I was completely wrong.I am sorry we weren't physically there for you. But please know we tried hard to be there for you in our prayers and thoughts. You are right though, it would have been better to get it all our in the open and help each other through the pain we were all feeling.
    Your blog has opened my eyes. You are so encouraging and though, I haven't dealt with as much pain and depression, your words have helped me remember to love more and speak out more. I love your family with all my heart. You are all an inspiration to me. Your family has been through so much and I amazed you all keep moving forward. You are all superheros in my book. please keep writing. MUCH LOVE! Kristi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kristi-----Awe! You guys all make me cry! We so needed online therapy a long time ago!!! hahahaha!!! I love it! Who knows how to act when shoved into an unpredictable situation??? Everyone thinks they know how they will react but they don't. There is no fault in how we did. Lets just say we all sucked at it.......Me espeacially:) I don't know one person who reacts perfect in a situation like this. Everyone has their demons. Luckily we all have a great love for each other and are deep down the best of friends. Nothing can take that away. Jenna told me you called her the other day and told me how much that meant to her. She's pretty tuff on the outside but you melted her with that phonecall. Thank you. She needed that. She misses being close to you guys. I love that this blog is bringing our families closer together. What a wonderful thing we have going. Thank you for calling my sister. it meant a lot to her. I love you cuz:) NIKI

      Delete

This blog is mainly written by Niki Michaelis. There have been two other co-writers so far: Jenna Pinegar and Sarah Cook. If you need help finding a loved one please contact me. I would be more than willing to put your loved ones picture up and story to get more people looking for your loved one. Email me at themissingpiece777@gmail.com. Will contact you as soon as possible.