Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Love Him!

Today is V-Day! In other words Valentines Day. I say V-Day because I think of the word Veteran. That is what my Grandpa Ogden was. He was a world war two veteran. I know there is an actual Veteran's Day but I think of my Grandpa Ogden on this day because Valentine's Day reminds me of the day we celebrate those we hold the most dear and close to our hearts. My Grandpa Ogden is one of those people. 

Grandpa Ogden was a simple man. That was his charm. He was usually never seen without his hat and was always up for a game of Skip-BO. Sleepovers at Grandma and Grandpas' were the best. Grandpa would always wake up early to take his daily nature walk. He would nudge you just once to see if you wanted to come and then leave (You had to move quick if you wanted to keep up with Grandpa). They lived near the mountains and even as a small child I knew there was something special about Grandpa. 

While on our walks, on many occasions, grandpa would be able to come within a few feet of some of the deer we would see. He had a peace about him that made everyone around him feel happy and safe. I imagine that is why he was able to get so close to so many of the wildlife we would see.

Every morning Grandpa would make eggs for breakfast. He would make them any way you wanted them. I ALWAYS wanted mine over easy. I swear to you, to this day, I have never had a better egg than when Grandpa cooked them for me. We would have eggs, orange juice, and Grandpa would have his morning Diet Pepsi!!! 

I laugh every time I see a diet pepsi. They had stacks of that stuff so they would never run out. I will still buy a can of diet Pepsi every now and then just to smell it. Grandpa's breath always smelled of diet pepsi. Whenever Grandpa would let out one of his big laughs I could smell his breath and it would smell like diet pepsi. So when I smell Diet Pepsi it takes me back into the memory of Grandpa and his big, loud, fun, and contagious laugh.

After breakfast, if it was Saturday, we would ALWAYS go to the swap meet. That was an adventure. That was the best place to find the best junk. (treasure) We shopped there for hours and sometimes bought just one thing. It was always an adventure. Grandpa was always so patient. I only realize it now because I have kids. I always took forever to make a decision but he never rushed me. I'm always telling my kids, "Hurry up!!! We gotta go!!" 

After that we'd pick out some rocks from the street and put them in the rock polish machine. While the rock polish machine was going we'd watch a John Wayne movie. If the rocks weren't shiny and polished by the end of the movie we'd walk to the gas station and get some candy.....I ALWAYS got a slap stick. When we got back we'd make the polished rocks into a necklace or a ring. 

Then it was time for CARDS!!! We had our choices...Skip-BO, no peeKee, dominos, and so much more. Grandpa was always trash talking and with good reason. He always won. He was soooooooo good. And boy could he shuffle. After cards it was off to the park to feed the ducks. Man......now that I think about it.......this guy was like the energizer bunny. I would not be able to do all of this in one day with kids. But this is all true. He and grandma would fit all this in in one day. Crazy huh?!

He was so much fun but also had a soft quiet side that loved to fish. He could sit in the silence for hours and be completely comfortable. I, on the other hand, am the total opposite. I am loud and obnoxious. He reluctantly took me fishing because I begged for over a year for him to take me. We got to the spot we were going to fish at and were there for ten minutes. I dropped a rock in the pond and grandpa grabbed all the gear and took me home. He promised he would never take me fishing again. And let me tell you......he was a man of his word. He never took me fishing again!!! Don't mess with grandpa and his fishing!

We always hated it when we had to leave grandma and grandpa's house. But we always knew we were welcome whenever we wanted to come over. He was a second father to all of his grandchildren. He was an example to me and helped me through some of the most difficult times in my life. 

Nothing is more important to a daughter than knowing her father adores her. Not knowing that from my own father has been a struggle for me. My grandpa truly saved me. I know he adored me. I think Grandpa Ogden was a father to all of the extended family. He was just that amazing.

I think Valentines Day is about celebrating those who are the most important in your life. You don't have to have a "Significant Other", or a date, or a romantic evening planned. I think it is a great day to reflect on how grateful you are for those in your past and present who have impacted your life for the better. 

Take the day to reflect on those who you are closest to your heart and tell them how much they mean to you. You never know how much they might need to hear it.

7 comments:

  1. What great memories. I loved our time with at their house. I remember doing a lot of puzzles. Grandma always had a craft. Grandpa always had a surprise in his pocket from a piece of chocolate to a toy. I remember getting in trouble for jumping on their guest bed, but we still did it until you bumped your head on the head board and needed stitches. Grandpa was very protective of the girls. I remember being mad a couple of times because he would let the boys do something, or make the boys carry something and not us girls. He just loved us so much! I miss him so much! Thank you for sharing. I laughed and cried, it's funny how 2 emotions can go hand in hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!! The puzzles!! How could I forget the Puzzles!! Life was so simple then. I wanna go back!! (I'm sure we'll say that about now with our own kids too.) They were so attentive. Where did that patience come from??? They entertained us every moment we were there. How can you live up to that?! I just love them!!!! It did drive me crazy that he was so protective of girls. Now I wish there were more men like him.....Are women ever satisfied? NOPE. AH! Grandma picked a good one. We were so lucky to have him. I loved shingle creek. We need to go back and camp with our own kids! Lets do it this summer! I'm all for it. YES! I"M MAKING ALL THORNOCKS COME:) or next summer if schedules don't work;) Niki

      Delete
  2. you totally nailed it! That's exactly how I remember grandpa!
    I remember one time I was sick when I slept over and my parents were out of town. grandpa and grandma let me sleep in their room and grandpa went to the store in the middle of the night to get me some meds. they took such good care of me.
    I read this post to.Mike because I think he would have really liked grandpa. I taught Mike nopeeky and love that you added that. Mike thinks I'm so funny because I call it that!
    I also loved playing bingo at bear lake for small pieces of candy.for hours. How did our moms dare taking 7 kids each to bear lake alone? impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am grateful for my family members' ability to write what is in theirs and my heart! Thank you for writing that! I miss the reunions that he planned so we could all be together! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Corie was right! you nailed it!! haha. I think that is HILARIOUS that he never took you fishing again after dropping the rock. I laughed so hard! I will never forget collecting bullet shells, cutting apples with his pocket knife, and carving whistles out of pieces of wood we found along the trails. I remember he used to FREAK out when he'd hear me and Jenna scream. One time he put us in time out for SO long because we were giggling and screaming too much. but Grandma always reassured us that it just made him nervous that someone was hurt or something (maybe from the war?). He was so caring. I will never forget the last time I saw him. I said goodbye and kissed him. And right before they got into their car, my mom and I ran back out to give him a 2nd hug and kiss goodbye. We didn't think much of it then, but I am SO glad I came back out to say goodbye one last time in this life. My mom and I still talk about it it this day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was always jealous that you Utah grandkids got to spend so much time with Grandma and Grandpa. I remember when we lived in Longview, all of us sitting in the window watching the street until we saw the camper come into view. I do remember doing all the things you talked about, even though some of them I only got to do once. I am so grateful they got to come to my high school graduation that last year. I miss Grandpa so much, all the time. Doesn't matter that it's been more than 18 years. Whenever my dad visits, we go fishing and remember fishing with Grandpa. It is so comforting to know that we are a forever family!

    I still laugh about Diet Pepsi, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWe!! I so wish you lived in utah! I would hate us utah cousins too!!j/k He was amazing wasn't he? It is so good to hear from you! That camper was classic. and so small! No one could fit in that thing! If they were in it, that was all that fit. I loved how simple they kept life...I just love them! it is good to hear from you!!

      Delete

This blog is mainly written by Niki Michaelis. There have been two other co-writers so far: Jenna Pinegar and Sarah Cook. If you need help finding a loved one please contact me. I would be more than willing to put your loved ones picture up and story to get more people looking for your loved one. Email me at themissingpiece777@gmail.com. Will contact you as soon as possible.