Monday, June 10, 2013

Memorial.....

Increased anxiety about this memorial fills me up inside. Is this going to feel like closure? I have no idea. I've never talked to anyone who's done a memorial. I've never talked to someone who had a "funeral" with out an actual body. I'm just grateful we get to do one for my baby brother Jesse.

The invites have been passed out! The plans are in place. I hope this memorial brings peace to all those who have suffered the ache of Jesse's absence.

To anyone who has a missing loved one, my heart goes out to you. The confusion of a memorial, such as this, is hard to take in. Mixed feelings feel me up inside.

Will I never know what happened to Jesse? Will I find peace if I never know? I am nauseous just thinking about the day of his memorial.

As I have said before, some of this blog is about how me and my family have coped with dissappearance of my brother. My hope is to let anyone out there who has a missing loved one, that there are others out there just like you.

My emotions are happy and content at this very moment. I hope that it stays that way forever. But I know there will be the waves of anger and worry that can creep up inside me. This challenge is a roller coaster of emotions that I wish would shut off.

As of today, my family is doing quite well. I worry for my mother. Her grief is unimaginable.

Some in the family are ready and want to do the memorial. Others are not. At what point do you have a memorial for a missing person? I wish I had a rule book, or a set of guide lines to follow.

Plans are in place. A light dinner with each family member set to share something about Jesse. Family all around celebrating a life we all treasured.

I wonder how everyone else feels. I'm scared to face this day. It is a strange anticipation. Eager to get it over with but at the same time, never wanting the day to come.

But---at the same time, so excited to be able to talk about my brother. I miss talking about him. For many, the subject is off limits or extremely awkward. What do you say to someone who has a missing loved one? Most are shocked at the news and change the subject.

How grateful I am for a night of complete honesty. For a chance to remember him. I fear I am loosing parts of his memory due to time. I am grateful for a reminder of how great he really was.

I am so grateful for the family that has been there for us. I am so grateful to those who plan to attend. It is a good feeling to know you aren't alone in this process of loss.

In all honesty. I am excited to see all my family members. This will be a fantastic day.

To all those who have lost someone, I am so sorry. These kind of days are the ones you think you will never face.

I'm just glad I don't have to face it alone. 

3 comments:

  1. Niki just take one day at a time (that's my moms favorite saying). I know this is super hard for all of you and I think you are all amazing for facing your demons.

    We haven't RSVP but Reid, the kids and me will be there. We look forward to celebrating the life of Jesse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki, I have been absent from your blog for a while. Time got away from me, sorry.
    I truly hope that this memorial brings you comfort and peace.
    I will be there alone, Mike has to work until 8, so I got a babysitter for my 3 kids. I am coming with sisters though. It's going to be great, and I hope it brings closure to us all. Love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niki, I so wish I could come but I need to save my pennies for the reunion. I hope that there will be time to reminisce then too. I wish you all well at the Memorial and know that my heart is there with you.
    Love you

    ReplyDelete

This blog is mainly written by Niki Michaelis. There have been two other co-writers so far: Jenna Pinegar and Sarah Cook. If you need help finding a loved one please contact me. I would be more than willing to put your loved ones picture up and story to get more people looking for your loved one. Email me at themissingpiece777@gmail.com. Will contact you as soon as possible.