Wednesday, January 30, 2013

College Roomates, A World Apart

     I believe there are certain people we are just meant to meet in our lifetime. I believe people are in our lives for a reason. I have found that even from your worst enemy you can learn your greatest lesson. Sarah is not an enemy, she is a person everyone wants to be around. Her laugh is contagious and if you know her you adore her. She is one of those friends that you find even if you loose touch, she'd be there for you in a heartbeat if you needed anything.
This christmas I was so excited. One of my best friends from college had been trying to contact me through facebook. I used to rarely check it and so it was by pure chance I found her message to me in my spam inbox. We had lost touch after our time spent at the dorms due to both of us getting married and having babies close to a year after that. Life got busy and we forgot each others new last name. We both hate computers because they are smarter than us so being on facebook didn't happen until way later. (my friend signed up for me.)
       I eagerly read her message and was so glad to hear she was happy. In her message she wrote she remembered us staying up at night talking about boys and laughing until we couldn't breathe. She also said she remembered us talking about our hopes and dreams of what life was going to be like after college. The last line to her message melted my heart, "I hope your life turned out just how you dreamed it would be." I laughed as well. Life was unexpected and full of twist and turns. It definetely had not turned out how I dreamed it would be but I wouldn't change a thing about it. I have learned so much.
     I sat down to write her back and contemplated whether or not to tell her about my brother or just lie and simply say, "Yes. Life is perfect. I am happy. How are you?" Well I am telling you it is a great thing I decided to be honest. This girl was my best friend in college. She knew me so well. I know she would want to know the real answer not the superficial one.
         I wrote her a long happy letter stating how life was good and updated her on the family. At the very end I simply stated, "the only thing that I am struggling with is my missing brother, but that is getting better. He is still missing in hawaii. We should talk sometime:)"  and that was basically it.
          I got a message back fairly quickly after that. Our lives were meant to cross......her brother had also gone missing. I was so grateful I had been honest in  my response.
        I won't go into too much detail but the story is incredible. I love that I now have someone to relate to. Even though we wish for each other that this did not happen. It has been comforting to talk to her.
       Her brother was later found dead and held over seas until they paid a huge amount of money to just get the body back. She will be writing the story and posting it here on my blog for those of you who want to read the story.
        She will also be posting about how her family is dealing with the loss and how you can help those who have lost a loved one due to going missing. I am so sorry for her family and their loss. I hope by talking about it, it can start to help heal the wounds that they feel. Good luck sarah!!  I love you to death!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is mainly written by Niki Michaelis. There have been two other co-writers so far: Jenna Pinegar and Sarah Cook. If you need help finding a loved one please contact me. I would be more than willing to put your loved ones picture up and story to get more people looking for your loved one. Email me at themissingpiece777@gmail.com. Will contact you as soon as possible.