Sunday, April 7, 2013

Beautiful Brown Eyes and Dry Drowning

The kids were so excited to go swimming. I was exhausted but knew I had no choice but to give in to their demands. We all got dressed and went with grandma to the clubhouse. We showered off and all jumped into the pool. It was surprisingly warm.

So refreshing. Soon we were all smiling and splashing. My two oldest, Alexis and Chase, can swim. I don't need to worry about them. Landon and Beckham are a different story. I have to watch them carefully. So throughout our swimming I practiced with Landon and Beckham in teaching them how to swim. they were doing great and we all were getting into a rhythm.

So Landon and Beckham were jumping off the ledge of the pool and jumping into my arms. If you have ever swam with these guys, they don't wait for you to look and tell them you are ready for them. They jump and land on top of you as soon as they can. They love to jump at the same time. It is like catching 2 basket balls at the same time. Except...these basketballs kick, scream, claw, punch, and twist their way out of your arms.

Now remember, I am alone at the pool with grandma just watching. Kirt is working back at home. I am the only one in the pool with the kids. Landon suddenly jumps at the far side of the pool. I dive to grab him. We swim back to the others and begin to play. As I am standing with the kids I see a beautiful pair of brown eyes.


They are frantic. It is Beckham. ONLY his eyes are above water. His cute baby arms are outstretched and inches to reaching me. I immediately grab him and assess how he is doing. He is coughing and extremely pale. He must have been under at least 30 seconds. "My poor baby!" He stops coughing and lays his head on my chest. He is tired and still extremely pale. He was done swimming. We all left the pool.

I had seen an Oprah episode. (Yes. Yes. I know. I am an Oprah fan, so what?) It was on Dry Drowning. It totally freaked me out. So like any mother...I watched him all day for signs of it. If you don't know what Dry Drowning is I'm gonna tell you.
In dry drowning, a certain amount of water, or any liquid, is present in the lungs, which results in the inability to take in oxygen from the air that is inhaled. It does not mean that the individual died in water, but simply means that there was no or little water in the lungs at the time of death. Hence, the term 'dry' is given. Moreover, it may also take place due to a damage to the respiratory system,
Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/dry-drowning-symptoms.html
So if you didn't follow the link, the paragraph kinda tells you what it is. Everything was fine. And in all reality, you are in the most danger right after swimming or right after the child has inhaled the water. The 3 classic symptoms to look for are chronic coughing for 20-30 minutes and trouble breathing, uneven breathing  and/or chest pain. If the child has dry drowning symptoms it can not be treated at home. It can only be treated at the hospital. Do not take any chances with dry drowning.

I was probably in the safe zone with Beckham, but I am an overly cautious, over paranoid, freak yourself out kind of parent. It had been 8 hours past the time he had been swimming. But I would never forgive myself if anything happened to my cute baby. So....later that night, Beckham had this crazy coughing fit and was coughing up a ton of water and his lips were turning purple. So off to the hospital we went. 

They took a simple x-ray of his chest  to see if he had water on his lungs. Luckily, His lungs were clear and we were good to go home. Sweet little Beckham was safe and I could sleep that night.

I am so grateful to live where I live. I am so grateful to have the modern medicine we have. I am so grateful I was able to go and get help for my baby when I needed it. I wish all could have the opportunities this Nation has. I'm truly blessed to be able to have access to medical help whenever I need it. So thankful for everything in my life!

4 comments:

  1. Can I just tell you reading this post my heart was leaping out of my chest. As a survivor of drowning, I hyperventilate when I think of children drowning. I am so gad your little boy is ok, as a parent how scary. I hope this doesn't scare him of swimming again. The best thing my parents did for me was to put me back in the water. I still get nervous in the water but not enough to stop going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH sabrina! I had no idea! I'm glad you got back in the water! Yea, It is so scary! As parents you totally freak out!! I hate growing up!! Can't I be a kid again and still have the perks of being an adult??? I wish I knew more about your life. Do you have a blog or something??? I feel a little out of the loop here. How's all the kids? Your little one? I know he has had trouble in the past. He had me worried for a while there. Good idea to get him back in the water.....the trick is getting me back in the water......

      Delete
  2. You do know little about me ;) just kidding. I was 3 and jumped off a dock after a ball at a family reunion on my dads side. I spent about a day I think in the hospital. I forced myself to go scuba diving 3 years ago. It scared the bejeebees out of me, but I had to do it for me. I will probably never do it again but I did it. You can do anything you set your sights on. You too can get back in the water, just believe in yourself. When we let fear rule our lives then it wins. You need to be the winner, not fear. (I just made that up clever huh).

    I do have a blog but I haven't updated it since after Ben was born. I kind of lost it when he was born and something's I just didn't pick back up, my blog was one of them. He is doing great now. He goes to the special Ed preschool for speech, he averages about 5 months behind but he is alive and doing really well. I am glad you guys are all doing well too. Life as an adult is harder than I thought it was too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow! I had no idea! you are amazing to face your fear like that!!! I will get in the water. you inspired me. I am so glad your little boy is doing well. You are right, I need to know you better dang it!! I love you cuz!!! niki if you need anything please know I am here for you.

      Delete

This blog is mainly written by Niki Michaelis. There have been two other co-writers so far: Jenna Pinegar and Sarah Cook. If you need help finding a loved one please contact me. I would be more than willing to put your loved ones picture up and story to get more people looking for your loved one. Email me at themissingpiece777@gmail.com. Will contact you as soon as possible.