Monday, February 4, 2013

My Brother Darren....Missing (Part 1)


Posted by Sarah

I am the long lost roommate of Niki.  I was so overjoyed to come in contact with her again after almost 10 years, and also heart broken when she told me of her brother who has been missing for five years.  The story hit close to me. 

Missing…..I have openly told my husband that word is the worst case scenario.  Not knowing where a loved one is has been one of my worst fears.  I never thought it would happen to me.  The odds are against it. 

Two years ago my husband’s brother Darren went missing in Brazil.  He had served a 2 year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and wanted to go back and visit.  I considered him one of my best friends and was so happy to have him in my life.  I received a facebook message in broken English from a man in Brazil asking if I knew where Darren was.  For a moment I thought it was a ransom letter.  I was filled with terror and quickly called Darren’s brother to find out what was going on. 

I was told Darren had been missing for three days and only a few people knew.  At the place he was staying at a man there noticed he didn't return one night.  Darren had told the man he was going on a hike.  Those who knew Darren would not be surprised that he just stayed in the mountains and camped there.  But when I got off the phone I broke into tears.  I hoped for the best but immediately started to try to prepare for the worst.  What if we never found him?  What if that was the end?

Day four, five, six rolled by and by this time all of the family knew about it and our hopes were diminishing.  I cried myself to sleep every night, and found it hard to eat.  I had a constant knot in my stomach, and Darren was in the back of my mind constantly.  We all felt helpless.  How could we even begin to start looking for him when he was in a different country? 

The not knowing began to torture all those who loved him.  Was he being beaten and hurt? Was he suffering somewhere in the wilderness?  And I shuttered to think that he might not be here anymore.  He could be dead. 

We found out that some people in Brazil had started to put posters up with his pictures and try to find him.  Some people in my family were trying to figure out if they could go and help out.  The days blurred together and we found out a body had been found five days after Darren had gone missing near the hike he was on.  The description of the clothing clarified our worst nightmare.

Brazilian authorities wanted dental records to confirm that it was Darren.  I found myself still trying to believe it was not him, but inside I knew it was.  Words cannot express my sorrow.  I soon realized that many of my unanswered questions would never be answered.  When the dental records came back and we knew Darren had passed on, I still didn't want to believe.  And yet the only thing that kept me going is that I knew I would see him again in the next life.  I knew he would not be gone forever.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is mainly written by Niki Michaelis. There have been two other co-writers so far: Jenna Pinegar and Sarah Cook. If you need help finding a loved one please contact me. I would be more than willing to put your loved ones picture up and story to get more people looking for your loved one. Email me at themissingpiece777@gmail.com. Will contact you as soon as possible.