Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Why do I care???

This post is dedicated to my cute cousin Corie....I seriously don't know how you do it!!  

I live in Mama Town USA. The moms out here are fabulous!!! How do they do it all? I am popping energy drinks left and right just trying to keep up with my crazy boys. I talk to so many women who volunteer for the school PTA and each child's classroom. On top of that they are the appointed soccer mom, on the school board, do crafts everyday with their kids, eat only organic food, and I think some of them can even fly.

Why do I care??? I constantly find myself comparing me to them. How does she do it all? Where was I when mom of the year lessons were going on? I am always forgetting things, dang it! Well ladies and gentlemen if you are new to the blog, lets just say I don't always have things together.

I will often ask my kids, "what is mommy best at?" and they have the answer memorized, they will say in unison, "forgetting things." Of course they smile and think it is funny but sometimes I really bother myself with how forgetful I can be.  I forget doctors appointments, I forget dance lessons, I forget soccer games......I'm a walking forgetting mess. I listened to my friend tell me how she was so upset she was at herself for forgetting her child's Dr. appt. (Because she forgot they ended up being a little late.) I bit my lip and smiled. I thought, "Wow. I must really be a bad mom. First, I am ecstatic that I remembered the appt. 2nd, if we are on time......wait that NEVER happens.

Today was a cleaning day. Landon and Beckham stayed in their jammies all day. Did I feel bad? Yes. Why? Because everybody else dresses their kids and does their hair perfectly, everyday. (NOT!) I need to keep up appearances. What would they think of me if my house was a mess and my kids were in their jammies??? 

I find myself in the same cycle every mother can easily find herself in. The comparing game. Here's how it works: I compare your greatest strengths to my weaknesses. They win every time. Why do I care? I used to be so confident. Now I've got four little children running around and I think, "What am I doing? I don't know how to be a mother?" I need lessons. Not the ones they can actually teach in class.....I need individual lessons for each one of MY children. They are all so different and respond so opposite to each other depending on the latest technique I've read about.

I can't read the "be a better mommy" books. Why? Because when I read it all I think is, "I'm doing everything wrong!! I really am a crappy mommy". So when someone asks me if I have read one of those evil books I say, "No. Although, I did read all the Harry Potter and Twilight books. They were awesome!" I get weird looks and I can't imagine why.....ha!

To all you mothers out there.....WHY DO WE CARE??? I'm never going to win if I compare myself to you. I'm cruel about myself and think the world of others. It is a lose lose situation. As I sit and look at my cute kids I think. What do I do right? I play with them everyday. (I'm a little kid trapped in an adults body.) I give them hugs when they are sad, I laugh with them when they are funny, and I love them unconditionally. They are my world. That is priceless. No book can teach you how to give hugs and show love. We have that naturally programmed into us. When your child was born you became an amazing mother. You love them and are there when they need you. That is all that matters. The greatest gifts we can receive in this life are completely free. No missed doctor's appt. or soccer game will take that away.

Give yourself a break. You are trying your best. Who cares if your house is a little messy and the kids aren't completely ready for the day. Did you love them today? Yes? Well then, you have just made their day. Kids are so simple. Don't make it complicated. If I walk in someone's house and it is messy, I love them so much more. I think, "OH! She is human. She doesn't always have things perfect". 

Lets get real. I feel like a walking disaster waiting to happen. I walk into a grocery store (Wal mart) and I swear the kids plan the attack in the car. As we walk in, all four children sprint in 4 different directions. The next thing I know the clothing rack is on top of Beckham, Chase and Landon have found their 12 pack of pop they want me to buy, and lexi is running back with a dress she has to have. In 3 minutes I have had it and am leaving while the entire store stares as the crazy woman with 4 children walks out.

Don't compare your weaknesses to others strengths. I have found that if you just talk to them they think the same thing you think of them. HOW DO YOU DO IT???

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is mainly written by Niki Michaelis. There have been two other co-writers so far: Jenna Pinegar and Sarah Cook. If you need help finding a loved one please contact me. I would be more than willing to put your loved ones picture up and story to get more people looking for your loved one. Email me at themissingpiece777@gmail.com. Will contact you as soon as possible.